Blogroll

       HOME        LINK        ABOUT        FOLLOW      

6.23.2014

Songkran, Bangkok

Last 13-17 April, I went to Bangkok with my friends to celebrate Songkran Festival, Thai's New Year. It was FUN! As fun as my Full Moon Party Trip in Koh Phangan.

If you're planning to go to Songkran next year, I have some notes for you :D
  • Bring waterproof case for important stuff, there will be a lot sellers on the street so it's fine if you didn't bring it from home. It costs around 50-150 Baht according to the size.
  • Hang your waterproof case inside your t-shirt, take care your own from pickpockets.
  • Bring waterproof case for camera, if you really want to. (My Thai friend suggest me not to bring camera during the water war)
  • Khao San Road, Siam Center area, Silom are the craziest and most crowded during Songkran. Go to Khao San Road at night -- it's already crazy at noon or night on regular day, so just imagine if you go there at night during Songkran! :P
  • Have your water gun! People will shoot you with water gun even splash your body with buckets. It's better if you filled your gun with water ice. The water gun costs around 100-200 Baht according to the model and size.
  • Check your itinerary, if you need to travel by BTS the whole day, you can buy one day pass BTS that will costs you 120 Baht - it will save your money. But, it's also fun to commute with bus - people will throw buckets at you from the street or even you will have "Fast and Furious water war" from Tuk-Tuk :D
  • Indonesian, bring Tolak Angin in case you need it :))
  • Just have FUN! Whatever happens in Bangkok stays in Bangkok haha
May the force be with me during Songkran
Our Itinerary:
Day 1 
- Shopping at Chatuchak Weekend Market and buying water gun (But you can find water gun everywhere around Bangkok if you arrived in Bangkok on weekdays.
- Shopping at Rod Fai Night Market, surprisingly the stuffs were cheaper than the one in Chatuchak! They also have cool cafes to hang out and vintage stuffs. It is not touristy place and full with locals, my favorite!

Day 2 
- Getting wet the whole day! :D

Day 3
After the crazy day, we plan to relax by visiting temples, haha! During Songkran, temple is the safest place to not getting attack by the water.
- We went to Grand Palace but unfortunately they closed it for foreigners and FREE for locals. Though, I can get in to Grand Palace, maybe the guards think that I'm a Thai, haha. But I get out from the Grand Palace as soon as I know that all my friends can't enter the gate.
- I haven't got chance to visit Wat Arun during my last trip to Thailand, and so my friends. Even they're not going to temples when they're in Bangkok, where were you going guys? haha! 
- Dinner and shopping at Asiatique

Day 4
- Sightseeing & shopping around Siam and Dinner at Chinatown

Day 5
- Heading to Singapore and going home.

It seems that we shopped a lot, but not really - we spent more time sightseeing and eating, haha. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera during the first and second day, I'm afraid that my camera will be splashed with the water, I don't have waterproof case for camera and I really enjoy Songkran without taking pics :P

No comments:

Post a Comment